Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thankful #6

Today I am thankful for:
Pre-School Art

Before I had kids I swore I would never clutter my refrigerator door with tacky construction paper creations. I don't know what I thought I was going to do with the constant paper trail they bring home, but I just didn't envision it taped up all over the place (this was also back when I thought it was a good idea to purchase butter yellow twill slip-covered couches. Lesson learned). But like everything else with kids, you do a lot of things you never thought you would.
Anyway, here's why I now proudly tape up most of what they bring home:
-No matter how bad their project is, your child still thinks it completely rocks. Self-doubt has not yet entered their mindset.
-I love holidays, and pre-school celebrates EVERY holiday, so you always feel festive. We currently have six different turkey renditions in our hallway so there's no forgetting about Thanksgiving around here (that was for you Danielle!).
-It's proof that they have an opportunity to do fun and messy projects, without me having to deal with glitter, finger paint, and melting crayons in my tiny condo.
-It's also proof that at some point they must have sat still for more than 10 seconds to create such projects.
-It provides a visual reminder of their progress. Scribbles become pictures which eventually become letters and numbers. It's fun to watch their handwriting improve.
-So many of their projects make me laugh, like when Luke drew a picture of himself including his very prominent "outie" belly button.
-Once it's been displayed for awhile I don't feel guilty about tossing it.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Luke and his belly button huh? That is so funny, love kids!