Rather than wait to do a final year-end review, I'm going to try highlighting a few books throughout the year, while my memories are still fresh. I realize I'm possibly the last person on the planet who is just now reading Tuesdays with Morrie (I won't bore you with a plot summary), but I recieved it from a friend at our Christmas Book Club exchange and finally got a chance to pick it up this week. It was a quick read, written in a simple style, but like all good books it provoked a variety of complex thoughts and feelings for me. However, the passage that struck me the most is when the author and Morrie discuss family:"Whenever people ask me about having children or not having children, I never tell them what to do, " Morrie said, now looking at a photo of his oldest son. "I simply say, 'There is no substitute for it. You cannot do it with a friend. You cannot do it with a lover. If you want the experience of having complete responsibility for another human being, and to learn how to love and bond in the deepest way, then you should have children."
So you would do it again? I asked.
"Would I do it again?" he said to me, looking surprised. "Mitch, I would not have missed that experience for anything."
And that's exactly how I feel about having my own two. There's been nothing like it before or since in my life. Regardless of the challenges (see previous post), parenthood is an experience I would never miss or trade. Things I would not have thought myself capable of I find the strength to do out of love for these two little people, my two little people. And so, this book reminds me to appreciate the gift my family is and to fully take part in the journey.


1 comment:
Wow, the baby pictures of your boys look SO much like they do now.
Post a Comment