Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Book Review 2007

Thanks to the fabulous book club ladies and some great recommendations from my many avid reader friends, I have enjoyed 24 amazing books this year. So, in case you're in a reading rut, here's my Picks & Pans of 2007:

Best All-Encompassing Novel
(okay, it's really Novel"s"--do you think I could just pick one?):
Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
All things a good novel should be: great writing style, very funny and whimsical at times, an ethical conflict that makes you think and ultimately faith promoting. Such a wonderful read.

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
Stegner is the master of examining the complexities of love and human relationships, all in the backdrop of some great American History. I also recommend his novel Crossing To Safety.

Best NonFiction:
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
This reads like a novel. One of the most beautifully written historical studies I've ever read about a couple who hides Jews in their zoo during the Nazi occupation of Poland. All the more interesting because the story is true.
Runner-up: The Price We Paid: The Extraordinary Story of the Willie & Martin Handcart Pioneers by Andrew D. Olsen

Expanded My World:
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
This is one of those books that you won't stop thinking about for days after you read it. Haunting, and at times almost unbearably sad, but completely worth it by the end. A Thousand Splendid Suns was also excellent.
Runner-up: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
I'll never think of foot-binding in China without cringing again!

Most Well-Written:
Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
Runner-up: Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Most Romantic Read:
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy
I didn't read very many truly romantic books this year, but this one definitely has some great moments with a fun, late-breaking twist.
Runner-up: Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
So I had to get this one in there because the craze was so fun this year (although I still think Twilight was the most romantic of the series). And a thank-you to Kelly & Heidi for a great girl's night out to "almost" get our books signed!

Best Read-It-Quick Pick:
The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
A light story about a quilting group of women who band together during the depression to protect a secret about one of their group's members.
Runner-up: Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange
**(but ONLY if you are already a P&P fan)

The Year's Least Favorite:
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Not a bad read, but a little too much of the author's fictionalized historical slant for my taste (call me a purist--I was an English History major!)

Most Inspiring:
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
This book has impacted my daily life, helping me to be more grateful. Also one of the most interesting and meaningful book club discussions we've had.

Best (and only)Re-Read:
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
If you haven't read this since high school, it's totally worth picking back up. I was amazed all over again, and was able to fully appreciate the genius of Atticus Finch now that I am a parent. Also makes for great book club discussion.

As always, please share any of your favorite great reads with me!

1 comment:

bethany said...

Thanks for sharing your list Aud! We've been trying to get together a list of book club books for this year and I think I'm gonna steal some off of your list :) Thanks!