Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Day Has Come

Will went to buy a baseball glove last Saturday for a softball league he's participating in and he returned home with this additional item. Gasp! A tent for the Bollard family. I know many of you thought the day would never come. I guess he finally got tired of my excuse that "we can't possibly go camping because we don't even own a tent!"It's no secret that I pretty much hate camping. I've only been on one camping trip I liked, back during our law school days to Lake Naciamento. I survived it due to our practically professional camping friends, Lance & Kelsey, who wear things like headlights and actually know how to operate a Coleman stove (I don't). I do realize that I have two boys and that in order to plan family vacations that they will enjoy I've got to "get my camp on" one of these days. Who knows--I might even like it. Soon I might be spending my Summers at REI sales buying my own headlights and buying camp-food-cookbooks. I may be writing a blog post about the error of my non-camping ways. I just thought these days would be a few more years in the future.

So here's the beauty of the whole thing . . . on Sunday after Will bought this tent the church bulletin announced a little yearly event in May called the FATHER SONS CAMPOUT, in which Will, Ethan & Luke will christen this tent and I will glory in an entire night to myself probably watching my collector's edition of Anne of Green Gables. Fantastic.

10 comments:

Austin and Kelli said...

The Hoover's love to camp, being a Calder I had never camped till I married into the family. I do have to say now that I have gone I actually enjoy it!

Amber said...

Camping is great, I have to say doing it in a RV is my idea of camping though. Or the desert cabin, you pick?

KatieB said...

good thing they get to christen it without you! i bet one night of him alone in that tent with two toddlers after an evening of feasting on s'mores will cure him. our ward is having a campout next weekend. thankfully, we don't have a tent, so we'll probably just show up for the s'mores then sleep the night away in our comfy beds...

Anonymous said...

I love that I was part of you only successful camping trip! It was fun and I wish we cold all go camping again.

I seem to recall you did a pretty good job on the trip, or at least better than us...you brought yummy marinated chicken to grill for dinner...we brought green hotdogs (which Caton still ate)!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typos in my last comment...my keyboard is sticking!

Melissa said...

Yea, we have one of those coming up, no night off for me! You deserve it, have a great time. =)

Annalisa said...

LOL, Yeah! I hate camping too. And just lost the excuse because Linc got a tent for his birthday. And the boys got sleeping bags for Christmas, agh!

The Titmi said...

You know how we all go into marriage thinking our spouses like or dislike certain things? Well, Roger thought I liked camping more than I do. When we are there I love it. The thought of going once or twice a year sounds great too. But when Roger asks monthly if we should go camping I have a hard time getting excited. To pack your whole house up for 36 hrs is a daunting thing along with the activities we miss while we are gone.
My boys love father/son. Hopefully your kids will too!

Kelsey said...

Way to go Bollards, we are so proud of you!!! I loved that trip to Nacimiento and I love it even more knowing you were a virgin camper. I too remember the marinated chicken and the green hot dogs. I still can't believe we managed to have so much fun, minus the bugs, in just one weekend. Mi Fiesta, anyone!!!!

cassaundra said...

I am right there with you...i HATE camping. An RV is okay but tents completely freak me out!! I am so jealous of your night alone, sounds like heaven have so much fun!!