Friday, April 27, 2007
Science & Sesame Street
Yesterday was one of those wide-open days on the calendar so I decided to take the boys to the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana (yep, the big black cube building you see off the freeway on the way to Disneyland). I think they are ready to make this place their second home they liked it so much. I was a little worried they would be too young for it, but when we saw the Sesame Street themed exhibit all fears were put to rest. Any Mom out there who's watched a lot of Sesame Street understands the sheer delight of two toddlers getting to see a life-size recreation of Elmo's World.

Ethan decides to make himself at home.

This was in the "Hooper's Store" section. Ethan reminded me of that horrible old TBS game show where the people have 30 seconds to fill their shopping carts with as many items as possible. (I remember always being convinced that I could go faster if given the chance to be a contestant). He was a man on a mission! Maybe he's heard the phrase "Mommy's hurrying!" one too many times when I'm trying to get the real life grocery shopping done.
This picture was of a cute interactive display where a child is supposed to kick the soccer ball through the net and hit the buzzer on the back wall. Luke would have none of it. He could not understand why he couldn't also pick up, carry around, and throw this ball. I turned around for one moment and this picture below is what I saw:
By some amazing feat of will power Luke fit his entire body through a small six inch tear in the netting of this soccer goal so he could get the ball. I had to practically lay on the floor and use full body strength to wedge him back out and unleash his grip on the ball. He struggled so much that by the time I pulled him out he had little pink carpet burns on both cheeks. I am glad we provided entertainment for the other parents watching me do this. Luckily this was our only "incident" at the Science Center.

This was upstairs, where some inspired person decided to combine a bunch of play equipment with the science exhibits. I'm sure my boys understand the ocean better now that they've gone down the submarine slide 50 times each.

We ended the outing with the dinosaurs outside. What could be more fun than sliding down a Brontosaurus tail? Of course, the true success of the Science Center for me was seeing how quickly both boys fell asleep on the drive home--meaning long afternoon naps! They were happily exhausted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sometime when we come to CA, we'll have to take the boys to the Science Center-it looks like a lot of fun!
um, i really liked that grocery store game show.
I have always wanted to take my kids there and feared they would be too young...obviously wrong. I LOVE your kids and their stories.
Post a Comment