Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Possibilities Are Endless

This upcoming weekend is the much anticipated
Father Son's Camp Out.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that within minutes of being told (incorrectly) that Baby #3 was a boy, the thought crossed my mind that at least I'd be sending him off on this campout with the other two.

You see, last year I had a blissful time in my solitude. Despite several tempting offers to get together with friends, for some reason I just craved a few hours to clear my head. To be accountable to no one. To go wherever my heart desired. Silly, right? But at this stage in life I'm so rarely alone that there was something irresistible about it.
So this is what I did:
shopped for a birthday gift for my Mom at the Spectrum
ate a Chipoltle Burrito for the first time
wandered the aisles at Barnes and Nobles for an hour until I settled on a book to buy
saw a chick flick at the dollar theater that I can no longer remember the name of
ate a fancy strawberry dessert from Champagne bakery during the movie
went home, turned up my "mellow classic rock" ipod mix, and snuggled in bed to read half of the new book
slept in until 9 on Saturday morning

(Apparently I'm so predictable that when my husband got home he guessed with almost perfect accuracy what I had done!).

Don't get me wrong, I have big plans for the future to create a tradition with my daughter to do special mommy-daughter things during this weekend: pedicures, shopping, eating over-priced pastries from a bakery, letting her sleep in my room with me--whatever makes the night different from a normal night with the boys around. But for now my mind is churning with the possibilities of how I'm going to spend those few precious hours--my last free Father Sons Weekend.

Suggestions anyone?

6 comments:

bethany said...

Oh you're night off sounds so fabulous!! I'd love to have a night like that. I totally understand not wanting to hang out with anyone else-it's so nice just to have a night totally and completely alone!! Have fun this weekend!!

[AnnieR] said...

Man, I'd just do a repeat of last year's. It sounds heavenly.

Annalisa said...

spa day. book store. ice cream sundae.

Tami said...

The campout never lasts long enough! I hope you had a lovely weekend!

Amber said...

So...what did you do? I'm telling you the dinner, shopping and pedicure with Em was pretty fun. Its coming!

KatieB said...

definitely repeat of last year. how i wish there were overnight father daughter events!