Thursday, May 29, 2008

We All "Stick" Together . . .

We're not a particularly artistic family. My kids have the usual assortment of Crayola crayons, finger paints and molding clay. I even keep tabs on all the suggestions put out there by Design Mom about "creative play." But in truth, most of the time my two would much rather be running wild outside than sitting at the table creating a masterpiece.

However, this week Ethan may have found his creative calling in a Costco package of Scotch tape. Normally I would expect this purchase to last me at least one year, maybe two if I get lazy at Christmas time and start using a lot of gift bags. But thanks to the "projects" below (most of which are started when I am trying to shower, make dinner, etc.), I am down to only 1/2 a roll left! Three sippy cups encased in one ENTIRE roll of tape then embellished with black watercolor paint (which is why this one ended up outside).
A plastic mixing spoon attached to his bike with 1/2 a roll of tape displaying his "circle drawing flag" which is affixed with more tape.
His Memorial Day flag attached to our stair rail with several strips of tape. What is not pictured was the tape that was also criss-crossed up and down the entire railing of the stairs in order to create a "tape wall." I was too frustrated to take a picture when that one occurred.
Luke waits eagerly for the tape project cast-offs, which he holds up to the wind and runs around with. This can be risky if the wind blows the tape sticky-side up into Luke's hair. I'm sure our neighbors are wondering when we're going to buy this kid a proper kite instead of giving him tape strips to play with.
I will be thinking long and hard about a new hiding place for the tape the next time I purchase some. In the meantime, as I continue to scrape stickiness off of every imaginable surface of our house, I really hope this is fostering some sort of amazing imagination.

5 comments:

KatieB said...

oh i'd say art definitely runs in the family after that post! i love watching what toddlers come up with as "art" or "fanciness". happy b-daY!!!!

Melissa said...

Love the sippy cup masterpiece, now that takes some creativity!

bethany said...

You don't whether to laugh or cry...

Tami said...

I think that's brilliant entertainment--not so great to be scraping off of walls, but perfect when you need the kids to entertain themselves for a few minutes. It's fun to see what they came up with!

Anonymous said...

At least it's scotch tape and not permanent markers. My favorite is the "circle drawing flag" on the end of the kitchen spoon. Your love of cooking is rubbing off on them...sort of...