Case in point: On Mother's Day we were at a family dinner at my in-law's home and had decided to eat outside. Ethan was sitting next to Will, wedged between the pool gate and the dinner table. Ethan tells Will that he has to go the bathroom, so Will promptly helps him unbutton his jeans and tells him to just go under the table, in order to get inside to the bathroom. Sitting on the opposite side of the table I'm oblivious to all of this, so it comes as quite a shock when warm liquid starts splashing over my legs. We all jump up to see a naked Ethan crouching on the pavement because he had decided quite literally to just go under the table. You couldn't really get mad at him because the confusion was written all over his face--after all, he was just following directions.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Dinner Surprise
At Women's Conference I attended a workshop entitled "Raising Boys," taught by a couple who had raised seven sons (and no daughters!). One of their many good points was that when communicating with boys you must make your meaning crystal clear. Subtleties are lost in the black-and-white of the male brain.
Case in point: On Mother's Day we were at a family dinner at my in-law's home and had decided to eat outside. Ethan was sitting next to Will, wedged between the pool gate and the dinner table. Ethan tells Will that he has to go the bathroom, so Will promptly helps him unbutton his jeans and tells him to just go under the table, in order to get inside to the bathroom. Sitting on the opposite side of the table I'm oblivious to all of this, so it comes as quite a shock when warm liquid starts splashing over my legs. We all jump up to see a naked Ethan crouching on the pavement because he had decided quite literally to just go under the table. You couldn't really get mad at him because the confusion was written all over his face--after all, he was just following directions.
Case in point: On Mother's Day we were at a family dinner at my in-law's home and had decided to eat outside. Ethan was sitting next to Will, wedged between the pool gate and the dinner table. Ethan tells Will that he has to go the bathroom, so Will promptly helps him unbutton his jeans and tells him to just go under the table, in order to get inside to the bathroom. Sitting on the opposite side of the table I'm oblivious to all of this, so it comes as quite a shock when warm liquid starts splashing over my legs. We all jump up to see a naked Ethan crouching on the pavement because he had decided quite literally to just go under the table. You couldn't really get mad at him because the confusion was written all over his face--after all, he was just following directions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
AHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Classic story.
that's a funny story. didn't realize that boys DO take things so literally. good to know.
What a funny story! A classic boy thing to do. They should teach another class with similar principles called "Marrying Boys." I think the subtlety factor is lost on boys of all ages, husbands included.
That is THE BEST story ever! I am dying here and it so epitomizes the mind of a little boy!
I can just see your face full of shock that you are getting peed on. Thinking of your expression made my day :) What a great story to tell when he's a teenager!!
Poor Ethan! This is a great story!
Sorry, that was me accidentally signed is as my sister-in-law. Boys really are very literal!
That is a great story! That happened at our house once when one of the kids was trying to get out of chores by claiming, "I have to go potty!" I usually say "go and hurry back!" not wanting to tempt fate. This time Rob said sarcastically, "I guess you'll just have to wet your pants then." And that's just what she did, all over the floor. I made him clean it up.
Another classic Ethan story! How funny.
Well- he did just walk over to the bushes at the park the other day. . .
I was so proud of Simeon this week- He actually asked to go to the bathroom when we were outside at afternoon parkday. I can't remember the last time he didn't just whip it out!
I'm still laughing out loud--what an absolutely hilarious story!
I LOVE IT!!! Boys are great and they definately keep us on our toes.
That is absolutely hysterical!! Don't you just love little boys?
I just love your blog & the moments you've captured. I finally have one too, so you'll have to check it out.
Post a Comment