Thursday, February 28, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting

Last Saturday we had a babysitter who cleaned my entire house.
This is the first time this has ever happened to us.

I almost cried I was so happy.

Granted, I usually try to leave our house in pretty good shape before we go out, but last Saturday was different. Will was at the office all morning and I was trying to get ready for a baby shower in LA that afternoon. In an attempt to distract the kids, I pulled out our two climbing tunnels (IKEA's toys are genius) and our set of 100 soft plastic balls. Ethan and Luke had other plans however. Much better plans like dumping an entire sippy cup of milk into the fish tank and stuffing DVD's into the VCR. Trading off with Will, I left the house in chaos, nearly tripping on several of those 100 plastic balls. Returning from the shower just as Will and the boys had picked up the babysitter, all I could do was apologize for the mess and explain that a rancid fish tank was probably causing the smell . . .

Back in my babysitting days I cooked, cleaned and folded laundry all the time. I was under the impression that I had to earn my money in order to keep being asked back. No one told me that parents are like putty in a babysitter's hands. So desperate to get out, I'll meet just about any demand a babysitter may make that doesn't endanger my children: Order them a pizza for dinner? sure. Get kids in their pj's before we leave? sure. Ridiculously over-pay them? every time. Why did no one tell me that as a 13-year-old I could wield such power?!

Which is why it's so refreshing to find a few good ones. The sitters who genuinely take an interest in my children, who don't act spoiled or forced to be there, and who see a need on an obviously crazy day and pick up around the house. As I profusely thanked her I'm sure she thought I was a little nuts, but picking up 100 plastic balls did not sound like a fun end to a fun date night to me. I will be calling and ridiculously over-paying again. Soon.

(Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the fish didn't exactly survive the milk incident . . . )

7 comments:

The Titmi said...

SICK! Your poor fish! Who was the babysitter?? Don't worry, I won't steal the precious babysitter. We just paid a babysitter for the first time in 2 years. Oh wait. . .we didn't pay her. We won her in the service auction last october was it? Yes, she picked up too and I felt like trash not paying her. We won her right? Right?

bethany said...

A-That's exactly why we don't have any fish.
B-Maybe I should actually hire a babysitter sometime-I have heard a couple of stories like this lately and I desperately need my house cleaned! It's cheaper than hiring a maid right?! And you get out at the same time!

Amber said...

Honestly, I pay $8 an hr. for a babysitter that has the kids for an hour or 2 before bed, I bathe them, feed them and leave the house clean...they make more than minimum wage and its under the table!!! I may take this babysitting thing up.
Thanks for helping with the shower!!

Annalisa said...

Ahh, babysitters...what are those again? Hard to find good ones for sure. Congrats!

Kirbell said...

Wow! I remember totally cleaning the house when I babysat. We generally have pretty good sitters who keep the house clean. But again, that's because they didn't make dinner or change the kids, etc.

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

You are so lucky! We have been looking for a sitter that at least picks up after herself and Courtney and have had a very hard time. I would call this sitter often and most definitely pay her well to keep coming back!

Rachel said...

This is Rachel, Amber's friend (we met at the party). I just have to say AMEN! I totally hate when you have to almost beg the babysitter to come...I like it when they are happy to be here with my kids!