In high school I worked in downtown San Diego, two blocks south of the historic Little Italy district. In Little Italy a meatball sandwich is a regular art form and once you've had one here no other will do.
Growing up, our Italian take-out of choice was Fillipi's Pizza Grotto. It's pure Mom & Pop, red-sauced & garlic Italian food--like homemade Italian food only better because you didn't have to make it. Eggplant Parmigiana is my dish of choice.
In law school we lived by two Italian restaurants, both owned by the same company, that I adored. Alegria in Malibu & Padri in Agoura Hills. This is Italian Bistro food at it's best. I regularly entertain the possibility of driving the 1 1/2 hours in LA traffic just for dinner at Padri's, but then practicality gets the better of me. Padri also still reigns as the best creme brulee I've tasted--a Valentine's special citrus version with candied lime peel so divine I'm still remembering it all these years later.

And so, those of you who live in Orange County, have lived here, have visited here, etc., tell me:
What is your favorite Italian Restaurant?!

3 comments:
I don't know about Orange County, but I am totally missing Ottavio's in Provo. Their creamy tomato basil soup is to die for!!
I just looked up on their website and apparently there's one in El Cajon, CA. Is that close to you?
El Cajon is close to my Grandparents in San Diego. Thanks for the tip!
I like the Spaghetti Bender in Newport.
I your blog Bollards!
Post a Comment