Saturday, January 19, 2008
Endorphins Anyone?
Yesterday Kirsten and I jumped into an outdoor pool at 6:30 a.m. in 43 degree weather. We might be completely insane. When we started swimming together in August we kind of laughed about how long we would or wouldn't last into the Winter--by October I was thinking we might have to break until the Spring. But, our association kept upping the pool's water temperature and we just kept plugging along. I think this past December & January have been some of my best workouts for these months since I was in college. Usually exercise falls to the wayside for me in December due to the holiday rush and just continues into a completely unmotivated January. Have I lost any significant amounts of weight? Not really. But here's what I have found: I love the rush of having accomplished something by 7:30 in the morning, I love looking up and seeing the beautiful colors of the rising sun, I love having some time to think or chat with Kirsten while we're using our kickboards, I love that my kids are so excited to see me when I get home (or better yet, are still asleep when I get home, allowing me to check my e-mail in peace!), I love the positive energy my day starts with, and I love that I've been able to maintain my weight without the misery of fad diets. I still don't understand the science behind needing to expend energy to gain energy, but I know it works. So, I will continue to stand at the edge of the pool, shivering in my Speedo, counting to three, and taking the plunge into the water--even in January.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Aud-that's so commendable!! I love that you're still doing it even in January! I've thought about trying to go walking or something before Zak leaves for work, but since he leaves at like 5:30, I've never gotten up the gumption to follow through. I am really proud of you-that's awesome!!
getting into a pool on a cold day is HORRIBLE! how i wish i had you to push me in though. that is so awesome you have a friend to swim with. i looked for an indoor pool out here and haven't found one yet. maybe i'll just wait till spring...
Seriously, why can't relaxing give us more energy, I know that I would be really good at that, if I could practice... That is awesome, I actually got brave and started going to the gym every other morning at 6 AM! That is huge for me.
Thanks for keeping me going, Audra. I LOVE swimming. I love swimming with you. I love swimming in January. (Except maybe those first three laps.) See you in the morning!
Good for you, Aud! I'm proud of you.
Crazy!! I enjoy warmth in the morning. I am shivering just thinking about! How do you keep your hair looking so good?? I live swimming just not the effect on my hair. One day I might join you girls. or not
ugh! I swim in an indoor pool and only have the motivation to make it once a week...this motivates me to try harder!
Post a Comment