Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thanks GH!

I have subscribed to Good Housekeeping magazine for six years now. I realize this ages me about 25 years, but I am not ashamed to admit it. I started reading it at my Grandma Rose's house, where I spent the majority of my Sunday afternoons growing up, because she refused to throw anything away and always had the last three years worth of issues stacked in her bathroom. My favorite feature was called, "My Problem and How I Solved It," which they stopped including about 10 years ago, much to my closet-reading dismay. Now I like to read their "Good Reads: Blogger" section, which highlights one creative blogger per month and their most creative/hilarious/heartwarming entry. But, the true draw for me is the recipes. I would say 75% of the non-family recipes I make come from GH. Here's two tasty ones I've tried recently. Enjoy!

Hoisin-Honey-Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Grilled Pineapple
Ingredients
1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon grated fresh peeled ginger
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 whole pork tenderloin (1 1⁄4 pounds)
1⁄2 medium pineapple, untrimmed
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions
1. Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat. In small bowl, combine hoisin, honey, ginger, and oil.

2. Place pork on hot grill rack. Cover grill and cook pork 18 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally.

3. With serrated knife, cut pineapple half into 4 wedges. Rub cut sides of pineapple with brown sugar.

4. Grill pineapple 10 minutes or until browned on both sides, turning over once. While pineapple is grilling, brush pork with hoisin-honey glaze and turn frequently until temperature on instant-read thermometer reaches 155 degrees F. Transfer pork to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Transfer pineapple to platter.

5. Thinly slice pork and serve with pineapple wedges.

Creamy Chicken & Potatoes
Ingredients
2 cups peeled baby carrots (half 16-ounce bag)
1 pound red potatoes, each cut into quarters
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed with press
1 cut-up chicken (3 1⁄2 to 4 pounds), skin removed from all pieces except wings (I used 1 3/4 lbs. bone-in chicken breasts because I have a small crock-pot and it turned out great)
1 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper
1 package(10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
1⁄2 cup heavy or whipping cream

Directions
1. In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Place chicken pieces on top of vegetables. In 2-cup liquid measuring cup, with fork, mix chicken broth, cornstarch, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; pour mixture over chicken and vegetables. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs, on low 8 hours or on high 6 hours.

2. With tongs or slotted spoon, transfer chicken pieces to warm deep platter. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter with chicken pieces. Cover platter to keep warm. Stir peas and cream into cooking liquid; heat through. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables on platter.

2 comments:

bethany said...

Really, this doesn't surprise me.... :) I like the recipes though-they look good (I always like recipes better when they come with a picture.)

Juli said...

It's good to hear i am not alone, my mom has always been a subscriber, thus i am too! :> It's great isn't it?!!