Thursday, September 06, 2007

Back To School

Ethan has a strange fascination with school supplies. He looked at the big displays last month in Target with wide eyes and multiple Ohhs and Ahhs. Granted, he's only three and several years away from even going to school, but it's like he somehow knows that change is in the air. The big tip off came yesterday when he attended a Back to School Party for the kids in our church group. He and Luke happily decorated school bus shaped sugar cookies and clutched the new pencils in their treat bags (as if they would actually be using them sometime soon!). He even asked me if I was going to school this year, to which I responded that I had already finished 16 years of school so that I could stay home to play with him. I can't say I blame their excitement though--it may be an inherited love. I was always the nerd who secretly looked forward to starting school, and a backpack full of new (hopefully, all purple) school supplies was part of the whole experience. I had a specific type of planner I liked to get, and, much to my ever-patient mother's dismay, we'd have to go from store to store until we found one that carried that brand. It had a monthly calendar page with a side column that was the perfect size for my "countdown of the month," where I would carefully place tally marks leading up to the next holiday. Neurotic, I know, but I still sometimes find myself wondering just how many days there are until Halloween out of habit. So, while I'm glad I still have the flexibility of two toddlers not in school, I look forward to the day when I can indulge Ethan a bit and let him go wild with the mechanical pencils, binders, and notebooks in Target.

Happy September Everyone!

6 comments:

Amber said...

I love it! I loved all the supplies too, that was one of the very best parts of back to school. I am sure Ethan will be just as into school as you were, lucky for him!

Annie said...

Oh man. The anticipation of school supply shopping was like waiting for Christmas. All summer long I would dream of the supplies I would get. As soon as I saw the stuff come out in stores, I was begging my Mom to make a trip but she always insisted to leaving it towards the very end (because she didn't like doing it, I guess.) It was always so picked over by the time we actually got around to doing it that I was always left with these weird Lisa Frank unicorn binders or strange multicolored koala bears with creepy googely eyes, and very plain Ticonderoga No. 2 pencils. You would think that "The Artist" in the class would have had the massive collection of skinny Pentel markers or the box of 72 crayolas. Nope. I was lucky if I got the 24 pack and I never got those skinny Pentel markers because "they weren't on the list." I always had to borrow from Andrea Pearlstein who had a new, huge set every year. But at least my crayons were Crayola and not RoseArt, which were and still are the nematoads of all art supplies. So why did I look forward to this every year when I was constantly disappointed, I wonder? I believe it was the hope that perhaps THIS was the year of the 64 pack of crayons...which never actually happened. I was bitter for awhile, understandably, but you know what? I learned a valuable lesson from it. And when I figure out what that was, I'll let you know.

Audra Bollard said...

Annie--I totally remember the Lisa Frank folders--ick. And yes, I would've pegged you as the Pentel kid. Even I wanted those because they looked so good in the black boxes, and I'm not even an artist at all.

KatieB said...

annie, that's the saddest story i ever heard.

Shelby said...

Audra, you are classic! I love your 'confessions' in your posts! I'd have to say my DAD got the most enjoyment out of the fall season...his favorite commercial is the Staples one where a dad is riding his shopping cart through the school supply isle to the tune of "It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

The Titmi said...

Ethan is sooo the first child and Luke the second. I wonder why life works like that. Joshy LOVES cutting coupons with me just so he can see the adds.