Monday, June 18, 2007

Who Needs A Pet??

Will has been telling me that the kids would enjoy having a pet.
My argument is that we already have one. I make my case:

1) Yesterday in the midst of a busy family party at Aunt Wendy's, Luke was found eating dog food. It must have been good, because I had to claw it out of his sweaty little fist.

2) Luke laps water off of the ground.
3) Luke makes various and distinct growling noises, often when he is happy or saying hello to people, but also when he is mad or feels threatened.

4) Sometimes I think Luke's facial features look like a cuddly koala bear (now that would be an exotic pet!).
5) Sometimes I think Luke's hair looks like a cuddly brown bear cub. He also loves a friendly wrestling match and he and Ethan remind me of two little cubs rolling around on the ground together. Here he is taking on my Dad, loving every minute of it.
6) Luke has fangs--his incisor teeth, and a couple others, came in perfectly pointed and they are vicious when he sinks them into things. He has been known to bite into his food and then rip it away from his teeth while swinging his head around, often accompanied by the growling noise.

7) Luke is currently refusing to let me clip his fingernails (and believe me, I've tried), so he has claws too.

8) Luke thoroughly enjoys rolling around in dirt, mud, bark, sand--you name it and he'll roll in it.

9) If given the chance with his diaper off, he will wet on the carpet IMMEDIATELY. Also, when you take Luke's shirt off his first reaction is to pound his chest or tummy, Tarzan-style.

10) He communicates with the animals. This picture is of Luke at the petting Zoo copying every movement of a bleating goat's mouth.
11) Luke thinks he is caged. If someone should happen to come to our front door, he bolts out like he's never seen the light of day and then throws an enormous tantrum when I have to haul him back in the house. He also shakes the slats of this crib and sits by the back door in the mornings crying to "Go Away!" or "Get in Car!"

12) Luke loves to run and retrieve a ball. Over and over again.

13) Luke is very loyal. He will follow me or Ethan anywhere, as long as we're offering food, that is.

Maybe when our own household is a little less animal-like I'll consider a pet.
But for now I have my hands full.

7 comments:

bethany said...

Been there, done that. It's definately overrated. Take my word for it, you don't want a dog.

Melissa said...

I like the picture of Luke where the sky is behind his head, so cute.

Let's do something! This week or next is great for me!

Annie said...

That picture is so gross/funny of Luke drinking water off of the ground. Ruby got put in time out for doing just that (after I told her not to twice) at the pool the other day. Seriously, what is so tempting about sucking pool water off of the concrete? I just don't know.

DAVE AND CANDACE BOLLARD said...

I would have to say, you made your case. It seems a bit insane to think of getting a pet. You must be doing too good of a job as a mother and wife. Doesn't Will know that you already has three boys to care for?

cassaundra said...

I am seriously laughing out LOUD! THis is your best post! Well you are always super witty but this KILLED me. he is too cute. Oh yes..I agree...no pets! Did you ever meet Edmund our Yorkie? No reason to clean up more "messes" than you have to.

The Titmi said...

Joshy used to do the water drinking thing outside our apartment from people cleaning their cars or rain. Unfortunately for my sanity I stopped trying to fight it which yes, I know is GROSS! Once when my mom was in town she saw him do it and started to freak screaming and all. It was a great show.
Don't get an animal. You would have to protect it from your ferocious beast.

Amber said...

You have such a great way of writing. He is a cute little pet, if you want to call him a pet. LAUGHING and LOVING this one.